Dear iEngage and iEARN-Moldova educators,
It is time for us to start working on a very important assignment - the celebration of Global Youth Service Day event in Moldova. Your task will be to plan, coordinate and publish the results of one Global Youth Service Day activity in your school. The tasks listed below will guide you along the process.
- Watch the video below and write how community development projects can enhance the EFL curriculum?
- Get inspired from Access projects.
- Invite your students to explore the Global Youth Service Day website and learn as much as possible about the initiative.
- Ask them to browse through the website and write how they would implement similar initiatives in their home village/city in Moldova. Tell them you will celebrate GYSD in Moldova on April 15-23.
Task 3: Choose your GYSD activity
- Answer the following questions:
b) How many students do you plan to engage?
c) Who will help you organize the event (parents, school administration, local authorities, local NGOs, the mayor, volunteers, other teachers from your school, etc.)?
d) When will your students report on the activity they participated in (during one of your English classes, during a school event, as part of an extra-curricular class, etc.)?
e) How will they practice their English reading / writing / speaking skills (they will create videos about their project, they will conduct interviews in English, they will translate participants feedback from Romanian/Russian into English, they will create Voicethread/UtellStory/PowToon/DVolver/Animoto/ presentations, etc.)?
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS TO INSPIRE YOUR STUDENTS
1.Collect used paper in schools and take it to a paper recycling center.
2. Clean a river area
3. Clean a park area
4. Plant flowers and trees
5. Clean a playground
6. Teach the kids from a kindergarten how to protect the environment
7. Collect food, books or clothes to donate to orphanages, homeless people, people in need
8. Conduct a community event to encourage people to recycle paper, glass and plastic trash
9. Make cards or write letters - for kids in hospitals, troops and veterans, or senior citizens in local nursing homes
10. Organize a bike race or marathon to promote a healthy lifestyle